Career and technical education teachers often work special populations and have questions about how best to implement best-practices with special education students.
The Career and Technical Special Populations Training and Resource Education Center (CTSP Center)
http://ctsp.tamu.edu/ provides materials and resources on a variety of special needs and CTE-related topics. Browse their site for self-paced online modules, newsletters, external resources and more. Several resources are available for check out to users in Texas.
- Accommodations for Learning Differences
- English Language Learners
- Gifted and Talented Students
- Non-Traditional Students
ARD Special Education Student Placement Meetings: By distributing and explaining the TEKS and skills requirements for your course, the ARD committee can make accurate determinations on the placement and accommodations for the student. See CTE Program Skills Inventory below.
Students that struggle with reading my have difficulty when assigned a reading/summary assignment. The *Article STOP and JOT” (see below) may assist this problem. Students will STOP after reading EACH paragraph and JOT down its main idea or key points. This strategy will allow students to gather and process their finding and thoughts prior to writing a summary. Modeling the strategy prior use is recommended.
Accessible Books and Periodicals for Readers with Print Disabilities
Bookshare® is free for all U.S. students with qualifying disabilities, thanks to an award from the U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
The Think-Ink-Pair-Share Activity (see below) is an excellent prior knowledge activity that helps students to focus their thoughts on specific topic. Students are given a question or topic and are asked to first think about what they know, and then record their ideas down, pair up with someone to share what they wrote. The final stage is a large group discussion. This can be used as an ELPS and Special Populations strategy.
- CTE Program Skills Inventory Cosmetology I (application/pdf, 333.50 KB)
- CTE Program Skills Inventory Cosmetology II (application/pdf, 339.95 KB)
- CTE Program Skills Inventory Practicum in Culinary Arts (application/pdf, 381.43 KB)
- CTE Program Skills Inventory Practicum in Education and Training (application/pdf, 360.67 KB)
- CTE Program Skills Inventory Practicum in Hospitality Services (application/pdf, 383.32 KB)
- CTE Program Skills Inventory Practicum in Human Services (application/pdf, 368.90 KB)
- Article STOP and JOT (application/pdf, 29.87 KB)
- Think Ink Pair Share Activity (application/pdf, 173.29 KB)