I. History of the Food Service Industry
TEA Units of Study: TEKS "Knowledge and skills" subsections covered:
A. Famous chefs B. Entrepreneurs who influenced food service C. Global cultures D. Food traditions
- (10) The student understands the history of food service and the use of the professional kitchen.
- (A) research famous chefs in history and note their major accomplishments
- (C) summarize historical entrepreneurs who influenced food service in the United States
- (B) identify global cultures and traditions related to food
- (D) analyze how current trends in society affect the food service industry
- Culinary Essentials, Glencoe/McGraw-Hill Division, 2002
- Food Production, Management and Services Curriculum Caddy, CEV Multimedia, Ltd., 2004
- Gisslen, W. (2011). Professional cooking. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Culinary essentials. (2010). Woodland Hills, CA: Glencoe/McGraw Hill.
- Foundations of restaurant management & culinary arts: Level one. (2011). Boston, MA: Prentice Hall.
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences http://www.aafcs.org
- America’s Career InfoNet http://www.acinet.org/acinet
- American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org
- Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America http://www.fcclainc.org
- Food Timeline http://www.foodtimeline.org/restaurants.html
- Culinary Careers http://www.culinary-careers.org
- Biography – True Story
- Food Network
- Food Reference
Who’s Who in the World of Food
- Star Chefs
The magazine for Culinary Insiders
Related Lesson Plans for Classrooms
Current trends in the food service industry support communities. Gaining awareness of the importance of sustainability practices will allow students to understand business policies...Read More